Longtime editor of the Mancipia and this website, Brian D. Kelly, died early in the morning of November 9, 2022. Brian had been bed-bound for the last couple of years of his life, but still managed to work for this apostolate as a writer and editor.
Dozens articles of his are on this site, along with hundreds of news postings and brief commentaries — all are linked from this page, which also has a brief bio of Brian. The past major article he wrote for us was The Mystery of the Holy Eucharist in Father Feeney’s ‘Bread of Life.’ Brian loved the Holy Angels, and many of the postings in our “Angels and Demons” category are from his pen, including:
- The Holy Angels: Our Faithful Allies in the History of Salvation
- All Angels Were Not Created Equal
- The Angels, Our Spiritual Cousins
- Unseen Allies Are on a Mission for Our Salvation
- Q’s and A’s on the Guardian Angels
- September 29, Saint Michael the Seraph, One of the Seven Who Stand Before the Throne
- September 29: Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael
Aside from his dedication to the Holy Angels, Brian had a great devotion to the Holy Souls in Purgatory — see his Purgatory, The Holy Souls in Purgatory, and Can the Souls in Purgatory Pray for Us? — so it is fitting that he died in this month of November, dedicated as it is to the Holy Souls in Purgatory. (If there were an octave day of All Souls Day, which there is not — at least officially in the Church’s liturgy — he would have died on it.)
Brian’s engaging intelligence, dry Irish wit, and deep dedication to the Catholic cause will be greatly missed.
In your charity, please pray for the repose of Brian’s soul, and for the consolation of his widow, Gwen, and all of his family and many friends who will miss him dearly.