The Miraculous Medal (1830)

This is the feast of the lovely medal designed by the Mother of God herself and given to a beautiful nun, Sister Catherine Laboure, now a canonized saint, a Sister of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul.  Our Lady appeared three times to Saint Catherine Laboure in the year 1830.  Our Lady told Saint Catherine just how the medals in her honor should be made and designed.  On one side of each medal is an image of Mary, with the words, “O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.”  On the other side is the first letter of the name Mary, placed in the center with twelve stars around it, a cross just above it, and the hearts of Jesus and Mary engraved just below it.  These miraculous medals are now called, in simplicity, “Mary medals.”  By holding them, wearing them, kissing them or showing them to others, countless favors and miracles have been worked everywhere by the power of the intercession of the Mother of God.

Read more on The Miraculous-Medal

Related books

The Miraculous Medal, front and back (image source)