St. Bernard Dogs are indeed named after a Saint. These famous dogs are named after St. Bernard of Menthon (†1008), who was devoted to the conversion of the people in the Alps. He founded a monastery and hospice at the highest point (8,000 feet) of what is now the Greater St. Bernard Pass, between Italy and Switzerland. Here the Augustinian canons regular provide shelter for the travelers of this extremely dangerous pass. The use of dogs for rescue work was introduced at the monastery in the late 17th century. Especially during snowstorms, these heroic religious and their well-trained dogs go out in search of travelers who may have been lost or unable to proceed because of the weather. In 1800, when Napoleon crossed the Alps, it was the Canons of St. Augustine who guided, fed, and housed the troops. The most famous of the St. Bernard dogs was Barry der Menschenretter (the lifesaver). Barry saved over 40 lives before a delirious soldier, who thought he was a wolf, killed him in the early 1800’s. The big St. Bernards are often depicted with a small barrel around their neck which contained wine, and sometimes bread, with which the traveler could revive himself before being led to the hospice.